Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to my new blog. Also, welcome to Key West. I have lived in the fabulous Florida Keys for 20 years. I have been a full time working artist for the past eight years. Many people have told me they would love to know just what life as an artist in Key West is all about, so I'll do my best to take you into the wonderful weird world of Key West.

First things first. I paint acrylic paintings. They tend to be colorful and tropical, but nothing is off limits. I do a lot of commission work. I can paint your favorite house, restaurant, boat, or fantasy. I also make things out of whatever I find lying around, which is a lot, since I am a pack rat. The paintings, you can see on my website www.frandecker.com. Or drop by my gallery, SoDu at 1100 Duval St in Key West, corner of Virginia and Duval, in the heart of the South Duval Arts District. I work there on Tuesdays, so please come in and say hi. Or come HOWL with us. Every full moon, all the galleries, shops and restaurants in our neighborhood stay open late and have special events. The South Duval Full Moon HOWL is a great way to see what's new and meet up with all your friends.

The gallery. SoDu is a partnership of five artists, plus we have many guest artists and special events. My partners are Judi Bradford, painter and crafter of fabric necklaces, longtime mentor and friend, Janis Childs, famous for her painted wooden bowls who I met while involved with Island Arts Co-op Gallery a few years ago, Leslie Kanter, a potter who was with the old Helio Gallery on Fleming, and Lainie Davia, jeweler extraordinaire. Be sure to visit the gallery's blog 1100sodu@blogspot.com.

That'll do for an introduction. You'll find out more about me later. What do I want to accomplish with this blog? I hope to give you an insight into what an artists' life is like, not only the trials and tribulations of trying to make a living with your art, but the special joys this life brings. As Judi was my original teacher and mentor, I hope to teach and inspire. So if you have questions, I'll give you my thoughts.

No comments: