Monday, October 27, 2008

Fantasy Fest




Fantasy Fest is when Key Weird goes crazy. For me as an artist, it's all about the costumes. As usual, we had a blast. The cemetery masquerade march is always my favorite event because it involves lots of clever costumes. The theme this year was Pirates, Pundits and Political Party Animals. I figured all pirates need parrots and what better pundit than a talking parrot?


Earlier in October, I attended John McBride's mask and headdress workshop at the Studios of Key West. John is the genius behind the masks at maskerville.com. I learned all about glue guns, but managed to make these headdresses.


For many years, I have made my own Fantasy Fest masks and a few headdresses -anyone remember the dinosaur whores? Compared to my past efforts, this year's headdresses were light and comfortable. Alas, not so those feather wings. Never feel sorry for birds in the snow - feathers are hot - and itchy if they're not your own.


No comments: