Saturday, February 14, 2009

Something different


I just finished painting a sink for my new bathroom. My friend and gallery partner Janis Childs helped me with glazes, painting techniques and firing in her big kiln. The sink is filled with fanciful sea creatures of all kinds and will be in my new cat bathroom. The old cat bathroom was a dingy dark cave with litter boxes, washer, dryer and assorted junk. The new cat bathroom will feature paintings of my cats, a glass jellyfish lamp, cabinets to hide the junk and of course, the new sink.
It's good as an artist to occasionally get out of your comfort zone. For me, that means doing something completely different. It's fun do do new things and I have painted on oars, birdhouses, scraps of metal, walls and more for special projects. I did some ceramic teapots, again with Janis' help for a wedding, but this sink was a lot harder than expected. I have a renewed appreciation for all ceramics artists out there.

2 comments:

Pam Hobbs said...

Hey Fran- This sink is way beautiful. Good luck at the show this weekend. see you there.

Annie said...

The sink must be beautifull! I love this. Nice paintings you make. Greetings from Belgium!