Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What is my background as far as art training? How did I get started?

For the most part, I am self taught. I was a creative child, always involved in painting or drawing something. As a teenager, I was attracted to the bright colors of acrylic paint and really started my life long love affair with acrylics. I painted throughout high school and college, but only took one art class in college, purely for fun. I was a biology major at Wellesley College and was very serious about going on to medical school and doing research one day, not becoming an artist.
Ah, but my life took some unexpected turns. I got sidetracked by a love of sailing and in my 20's, when I was living on a sailboat and adventuring about the Caribbean, I still painted, just smaller canvases. After settling down in the Florida Keys, I painted, but only for myself as I worked on trying to make a living as a biologist in the Keys, which ultimately led me to a great job with The Nature Conservancy managing the volunteer program of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
When the start up computer company that Bob worked for was bought out, he retired from the rat race and started a sailing charter business with the boat (see saildoubledecker.com). It didn’t take long for me to take advantage of the chance to really be an artist. I started by taking a class at the Audubon House with Judi Bradford, a well known Key West artist and journalist. After just two classes, she asked me if I had ever thought about selling my work. Yes, but how? What do I do? Judi was my mentor. She gave me tons of advice, the first being join a co-op. Share rent and work with a group of artist, giving yourself a venue to show and be seen. See Judi’s work at lizardlicks.com.
I joined Island Arts, a co-op that had been around for 15 years, with a good following of both locals and tourist. There, I learned more about the art business from my fellow artists. I continued taking classes, from various local artists such as Judi, Sanford Birdsey, Kate Miller, Susan Sugar and Jim Salem. I exhibited at the local art festivals. Two years ago I had the chance to partner with four other artists and start a new gallery, SoDu. We have a brand new website http://sites.google.com/site/1100sodugallery/, thank you Lainie!
I am often asked if I teach. No, perhaps one day, but right now, I feel like I am still learning, both about art and the art business. I am happy to share ideas!

No comments: